Calendar of Events
Historic Backyard Stroll | 3 2 dates
Meet at the Former Gun Club
Beloit, WI 53511
10/16 - 5:30 p.m.
11/20 - 5 p.m.
Join John Carroll on a stroll through History!
John (Moe) Carroll's family moved to Beloit in 1846. They were "Shanty Irish" who escaped the Irish Potato Famine and walked to Beloit to stake their claim in the new world. The Carroll brothers built a small business, utilizing the two oxen and carts they brought with them to start a trucking business. They have been in business in Beloit continually since then. The Higgins family, John's maternal great grandparents, arrived at the same time and also operated their own businesses.
John would like to take you on a stroll through his growing-up neighborhood on the Hillcrest Bluff (presently Sherwood Drive) by way of the railroad tracks in the back yards of many of Beloit's most notable and infamous families. The tour is only about three blocks long on level railroad bed and should take about two hours. It will start at the Gun Club parking lot on Colley Road and proceed to Beloit Junction, a magical spot untouched since the 19th Century.
The stroll will accommodate the first twenty people to sign on; refreshments will be served at The Junction.
Pre-register online by phone or by mail
For more information, call 608-365-7835